4.09.2010

carrion sparrow

my finished piece, the Carrion Sparrow. the main references for this were Sparrows, Swallows, Finches, and Prawns, Beetles, Moths. it was a nice challenge to work out the feathers and fur and stuff, something I haven't done much of. and below I included some of the development sketches.


this was the last sketch before the WIP . I was struggling with integrating the anatomy to be more that just a bird with bug legs, which it pretty much is. but this is where I put the feeder arms onto the face of the bird, even though this drawing looks alot like a crustacean-chicken-tyranosaur...

(BTW these drawing are listed from newest to oldest) at this point I was thinking I would have a bug head on the thing. some cool heads, but I thought it ruined the juxtaposition of gross/cute towards gross w/bird wings.


some of the initial layouts of the whole creature

the very first sketch. it's funny how sometimes you go full circle. this beastie is supposed to be small, like the size of a large praying mantis or finch bird.

that was kinda fun...

No comments: